top of page

Do International drivers licence holders need to give driving tests in Australia?

Updated: Aug 28, 2023

Pass your driving test and convert international drivers licence

In general, you may need to sit for the driving knowledge test and driving test if you quality as a resident not a visitor within the first three months of your arrival in Australia.

If you hold a car or rider licence issued by a recognised country and jurisdiction, you can apply for a NSW licence without passing a knowledge test or driving test.

The licence must be current or expired within the last 5 years, and it must not be a learner licence. There are 2 categories of recognised countries and jurisdictions – A and B. List B exemptions are for drivers and riders who are 25 years of age or older.

You do not have to pass knowledge or driving tests for a NSW car (class C) or rider (class R) licence if your current licence comes from a licensing authority in one of the following places:

You do not have to pass knowledge or driving tests for a NSW car (class C) or rider (class R) licence if your current licence comes from a licensing authority in one of the following places:

  • Austria

  • Belgium

  • Bosnia and Herzegovina

  • Canada (any state)

  • Croatia

  • Denmark

  • Finland

  • France

  • Germany

  • Greece

  • Guernsey

  • Ireland

  • Isle of Man (licences issued since 1 April 1991)

  • Italy

  • Japan

  • Jersey

  • Luxembourg

  • Malta (licences issued or renewed since 2 January 2004)

  • Netherlands

  • New Zealand (except for paper licences)

  • Norway

  • Portugal

  • Singapore

  • Spain

  • Sweden

  • Switzerland

  • United Kingdom

  • United States of America (any state).

You do not have to pass knowledge or driving tests for an NSW car (class C) or rider (class R) license if:

  • You are 25 years or older, and

  • Your current licence comes from a licensing authority in one of the following places:

    • Bulgaria

    • Cyprus

    • Czech Republic

    • Estonia

    • Hong Kong – for licences held for at least 12 months

    • Hungary

    • Latvia

    • Lithuania

    • Poland

    • Republic of Serbia

    • Romania

    • Slovakia

    • Slovenia

    • South Africa

    • South Korea (Republic of Korea)

    • Taiwan.

If you hold a licence issued by a licensing authority on list B, but are under 25 you must pass the relevant knowledge and driving tests.

If you hold a licence issued by a country or jurisdiction not listed, you will need to pass knowledge and driving tests when applying for an equivalent NSW licence.

how to convert my overseas licence, indian licence, nepali licence, refresher driving lesson, refreshers course, refresher driving, refresher driving training, refresher driving school, refresher driving lessons, driving licences in Sydney, international driving permit,
Convert overseas driving licence in Australian full licence

Temporary work or student visa holders could use their foreign licenses indefinitely, but from November last year 2022, they must switch to a local permit if they’ve lived in the state for more than three months. New rules will also mean drivers from overseas will soon have to take a test if they want to get behind the wheel. We can help as many of our overseas students, working visa including UBER drivers, truck drivers, delivery drivers, tourists, dependants to change or convert international licences into Australian provisional/ restricted licences (Red and Green Ps) and full local licences.

Do you need help with your car driving licences in Sydney?

You may need to sit for the driving tests in Australia. Do you need to convert your Overseas/ International licences? Look no further. Book your driving lessons or Hire Car for your driving tests packages now with Best Quality Driving School near you. We are the driving school in Werrington, Penrith, St Marys nearby areas. This is the special package below tailored for refreshers or overseas licence holders. It is a 2 hour test preparation driving before your Service NSW driving tests. We also tale mock or preparation driving test. We have refresher driving lessons packages. We have many success stories. Check our Google reviews or Facebook pages. No More Overseas Licence Driving. Convert overseas licence now. This link here, you will find the pricelist of all the road test packages we offer. Choose our cheap refresher driving test pass guaranteed packages. Pass your test in first go. Our preferred driving practicing test routes includes Penrith Service NSW, St Marys Test Centre, RTA Richmond, RTA Blacktown, RTA Springwood, RTA Silver Water, RMS Castle hill or Wetherill Park Service NSW. Best Quality Driving School offers special lesson packages for people with overseas licences. Our driving instructors near you are from diverse cultural backgrounds. This may work at your advantages as we understand you. We understand your circumstances and we are more than happy to tailor to your needs. Please, check our lesson prices and packages:

Our driving trainers or driving instructors have trained a lot of students from different cultural backgrounds e.g. India, Nepal, Pakistan, Bangladesh, Vietnam, Cambodia, Malaysia, Philippines, China, Korea, Africa, Middle Eastern, Europe, Samoa, Tonga, Fiji, New Zealand and other countries. Most of the students convert their international/ overseas licences into Australian Local Licences or unrestricted full licence.


bottom of page